Apple Cider Vinegar- this 'good looks' juice is trending and increasing in popularity as it has proven to be extremely beneficial to lose weight. Click To Tweet
Not only does apple cider vinegar boost metabolism, improves digestion and immunity, but also it can help you to lose some extra pounds if consumed in the correct order.
It is great for our digestive system; it acts as a natural detoxifier and appetite suppressant which indeed helps in weight loss.
- What is apple cider vinegar?
- Why is it so healthy and beneficial?
- How can Apple Cider Vinegar help you to lose weight?
- 13 health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Which apple cider vinegar should you buy?
- When should you drink apple cider vinegar to lose weight?
- How often should you drink Apple Cider Vinegar?
- How much can you take it?
- Side effects of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Did Apple Cider Vinegar help me to lose weight?
- Some Apple Cider Vinegar recipes to lose weight.
- Final Verdict.
So what is apple cider vinegar?
It is made with sliced or crushed apples, their sugar is combined with yeast to convert into alcohol. Then, bacteria are added to the alcohol to ferment it into acetic acid. This whole process takes nearly 3-4 weeks to complete before apple cider vinegar is ready to consume.
Why is it so healthy and beneficial? (What’s in it?)
- High in acetic acid – This is the most important role of apple cider vinegar where it slowers down the digestion of starch and makes you feel fuller. It will prevent spikes in blood glucose levels after a high carb meal. Therefore, it is a blessing for diabetic patients. A 2005 study found that acetic acid in apple cider vinegar improved the capacity of the liver and muscles to absorb sugar from the blood.
- High in malic acid– The reason behind being a great antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal drink is because of its high malic acid content.
- High in ash– It makes the ACV alkaline which is very helpful for maintaining proper pH levels of your body. (It’s important to regulate if you have a lot of coffee or wine.)
- High in potassium– A vital mineral that lacks in most of the diets. This promotes overall growth, the transmission of nerve impulses, and the proper functioning of the heart, etc. It also maintains the texture of nails and prevents hair loss.
How can Apple Cider Vinegar help you to lose weight?
- Low-calorie drink – 100 grams of apple cider vinegar has only 22 calories. Taking 1 tbsp (15 ml) of ACV in 8 oz of water (1 cup) first thing in the morning will make you feel lighter and, also is a great way to detox your body.
- Helps to suppress fat accumulation– This is due to the acetic acid present in a high percentage in ACV which increases metabolism in such a way that helps in burning the fat faster.
- Appetite-suppressant– Consuming ACV before any meal will keep you fuller for longer, thus you will end up consuming fewer calories without starving yourself, hence promoting weight loss.
- It manages blood sugar level by preventing glucose spikes and regulating insulin sensitivity- A 2004 study on people who had type 2 diabetes declared that taking apple cider vinegar with a high carb meal improved insulin sensitivity by 34 percent. Thus, it prevents insulin spike right after a meal, which is the reason for fat storage.
- Detoxes the body– It’s very important to detoxify your body on a regular basis which will lead to clearer skin, less bloating, and feeling lighter. Basically, apple cider vinegar never fails to impress!
- Good for digestion– Due to the presence of acetic acid, malic acid, ash; ACV helps to digest the food faster, absorbs, and utilizes all the nutrients while discarding the waste.
Anyone will want to absorb all the nutrients fully from a healthy diet, and apple cider vinegar will help in that.
There are many studies that declared ACV aids in weight loss.
One popular study published in the ‘Journal of Functional Foods’ stated that 40 adults who cut 250 calories each day for 12 weeks; half the group had a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar at lunch and dinner, while others did not. Those who drank ACV lost an average of 8.8 pounds while the other group lost only five.
13 health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
I know this is an article on how apple cider vinegar can help you to lose weight, but it won’t harm you to know the complimentary benefits of this magical drink.
- Facilitates hair growth and prevents dandruff.
- Helps in preventing nausea.
- Cures headaches.
- It’s proven that it helps in getting rid of skin rashes or various sorts of infections.
- Apple cider vinegar helps in improving bowel irregularity.
- It is a natural detoxifier, it flushes out toxins from the body at a faster rate.
- Many studies have shown that ACV may kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
- Regulates cholesterol levels.
- Improved symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome(PCOS) – A small study has shown that 57 percent of women with PCOS resumed ovulating when they consumed 15 grams of ACV each day for 90 days to 100 days.
- Helps in regulating blood pressure and blood glucose levels.
- Kills harmful bacteria and viruses- Science says that apple cider vinegar can also kill those bacteria that can lead to food poisoning.
- It is also known to improve the texture of the nails.
- It helps you to stay fuller for longer.
Which apple cider vinegar should you buy?
The color of ACV should be pale orange or amber.
Also, see the label for the presence of the following characteristics- raw, organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized, 5 % acidity.
“Mother” should be also included- It is a colony of beneficial bacteria, that helps create vinegar through a secondary fermentation process.
When should you drink apple cider vinegar to lose weight?
There are a few strategic ways of consuming ACV but I will share two ways so that you get most of the benefits.
- 1 tbsp(15 ml) in the morning and 1 tbsp- 15 minutes before lunch(or before the highest carb meal of the day):-
Taking first serving first in the morning in 1 cup of water will detox your body and give you a fresh start for the rest of the day.
However, if you drink tea or coffee with milk, I will like to suggest you drink it at least after half an hour of drinking ACV because vinegar and milk don’t go down well and may cause indigestion.
Then take the next serving 15 minutes before lunch- it will make you feel fuller, prevents glucose spike and fat accumulation.
2. Spread 2 servings of 15 ml each before your high carb meals throughout the day:-
If you don’t want to drink in the morning because of a tight schedule or something, you can take 2 servings anytime before your high carb meals.
You may pour 1 serving with your salad or have it in diluted form. Consuming it raw is not recommended.
How often should you drink Apple Cider Vinegar?
If you are starting new, go slow. Start by taking 1 serving of 15 ml, you may take some time to develop taste for it, because of the tangy and sour taste.
Also, see how your body is responding. Then, gradually, you can scale it up to three servings maximum in a day.
Taking more than that is not recommended, as anything more than needed can always backfire and be dangerous too.
How much can you take ACV?
A 2009 study found that the most effective way to lose weight using apple cider vinegar is by taking a small dose of it every day.
You should not take more than 30 ml of apple cider vinegar in one go.
Taking more than that is not needed and may also cause erosion of tooth enamel.
Consuming up to 30 ml at once may take up some time because to get used to the taste of apple cider vinegar is little difficult. Observe the changes just to see how your body is reacting to ACV.
Many people reported that taking too much can cause nausea.
Side effects of Apple Cider Vinegar
There is no as such side effect of apple cider vinegar since its completely natural. But still, you need to keep some points in mind as it is 5 percent acidic.
- Erosion of tooth enamel:-
This happens because of the high percentage of acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar. It is always recommended to dilute it (15 ml in an 8oz-1 cup of water) before consuming it.
2. Throat burns:
It has the potential to cause esophageal( throat burns). Therefore, always dilute it as explained above.
However, it has been reported that ACV pills may cause serious throat burns if it gets stuck in the esophagus.
A woman, who suffered through this, reported that she faced pain and difficulty swallowing for six months after this incident.
3. Drug Interactions:
Always consult a doctor if you are in medication. Apple cider vinegar may interfere in some cases.
- Diabetic medication: People who are taking insulin or glucose-regulating medications may experience sudden low blood sugar or potassium levels after including ACV in their diet.
- Digoxin(Lanoxin): In this case, ACV may cause sudden drops in potassium levels.
- Some diuretic drugs: Some diuretic medications force the body to excrete potassium. To prevent potassium levels from going down too low, apple cider vinegar should be avoided.
- Gastroparesis: Consult a doctor if you have gastroparesis before taking ACV or you may take as less as 5 ml in water or salad dressing.
Did Apple Cider Vinegar help me to lose weight?
Yes!! I lost 3.63 kgs (8 pounds) in 4 weeks. I kept my diet almost the same, only I was not having a lot of junk or oily food.
I also took a walk for 30 minutes following medium pace every morning and then used to get back to my normal routine
And that’s it.. but I will like to share some points that I noticed…
- I felt less bloated throughout the day.
- My skin looked clearer and it was glowing way more than ever before.
- I experienced better digestion- As ACV also works as a probiotic.
- I felt fuller faster- As ACV works as an appetite suppressant
- It blessed me whenever I had cravings- I have a sweet tooth and its very difficult to control. After taking ACV on a daily basis, my cravings for sugar went significantly down.
I know 8 pounds of weight is not much, but when it comes to my efforts of losing it, I didn’t do as anything as such to lose it.
I am sure that if I had gone to the gym or put some more effort, I would have lost some more pounds.
Some Apple Cider Vinegar recipes to lose weight:
Here are the three most common and effective recipes that you can try:
- 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 8 oz of water.
The most common, effective, and simplest one.
- 1 cup Green tea, your preferred serving of ACV, and a bit raw, unpasteurized honey to give a mild, sweet taste.
If you cannot have like stated above, then you can try this one.
Just remember to cool down the green tea before adding ACV so that the temperature doesn’t affect any of its nutrients.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp ACV, 1 glass of water, a pinch of cinnamon and honey to taste.
We all know several benefits of lemon- from digestion to skincare, from immunity to high content of Vitamin C. Cinnamon is a natural sweetener which helps in better digestion.
Final Verdict:Apple cider vinegar is not a magical elixir which if you intake daily will burn all your cellulite and will make you fab from fat. It's just that it prepares your body for your fat loss journey so that things get easier for you. Click To Tweet
Controlling the appetite, preventing glucose spike and fat accumulation, regular detox, the decline in cravings, etc. are such points that are essential for weight loss in a natural way- and, apple cider vinegar helps you in achieving that goal.
If your eating habits and lifestyle are not proper, there are fewer chances of succeeding. You will have to be in a caloric deficit diet or increase your physical activities throughout the day to lose weight.
Adding apple cider vinegar in a strategic way to your daily routine will help you to reach your goal faster.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can you store Apple Cider Vinegar in a refrigerator?
It is recommended to keep ACV at room temperature. Also, you should keep it away from direct sunlight.
- Can you drink if you have gut or lactose intolerance?
Yes, it’s completely safe.
- How long can you store it?
The manufacturers of ACV assure that it can be stored for an indefinite amount of time, but still, FDA says the shelf life of it to be 3-5 years.
- Can you drink apple cider vinegar every day?
Yes, you can drink ACV throughout the year but keep in mind about the dosage. Keep it two tablespoons (30 ml ) per day or sometimes you may take three. Make sure to dilute it before drinking it.
Stay healthy, stay happy!
If you like this article, please share it or PIN IT in your “WEIGHT LOSS” Board.
Shoot for any questions in the comment section and please share your experience with apple cider vinegar.